Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

encoders

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bob Rickert Posted: 09-22-2017 7:24 PM

Hi 

I'm considering the purchase of encoders for my MEII

I know you need to do the installation and that the cost is 6000

Could you please give me an idea of the time and installation cost?

Thank you

Bob Rickert

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,026
Software Bisque Employee

Bob,

Encoder lead time primarily depends on if we have encoders in stock. Their lead time from the manufacturer is about 6 weeks (we try to keep a good flow of them so we can have one in stock or when we know we have orders coming in). Scheduling the installation can be done usually within a week of when we have both the mount and encoders in house. As far as the cost for the time/labor it takes to install them I am going to have to look in to that again as I am not positive of the cost (we have only done it a couple of times). So I will get back to you on that.

Thank you,

Sarah Bisque Clawson

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,026
Software Bisque Employee

$6000 is for both the encoders and installation

Sarah Bisque Clawson

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2017-10-05 02:56Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Bob Rickert:

Thank you Sarah 

Can you tell me what are the specs for a mount with encoders?

Bob

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

Is this what you're seeking? If not, please be more specific (pardon the pun).

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2017-10-05 15:09Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Bob Rickert:

Thank you for this

I was particularly interested in periodic error...specifically if the encoders could ensure less that 0.25 arcsec peak to peak

Bob

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,821
Software Bisque Employee

Bob Rickert:
I was particularly interested in periodic error...specifically if the encoders could ensure less that 0.25 arcsec peak to peak

• The minimum resolution of the absolute on-axis encoders is 0.1 arcseconds.
  • The encoders are mounted on the main gear, so that the periodic error caused by the worm (and pulleys) and gear errors are removed at this resolution.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2017-10-08 01:21Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Bob Rickert:

Hi Daniel

Thank you for this.

So is it far to say the PE for the mount (gear, worm, pulleys etc) would be +/- 0.1 ?

Obviously flexure and stuff like that would be unaffected. 

Bo

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,821
Software Bisque Employee

Bob Rickert:
So is it far to say the PE for the mount (gear, worm, pulleys etc) would be +/- 0.1 ? Obviously flexure and stuff like that would be unaffected. 
To be clear, this discussion is about the theoretical limits of a telescope system.  The practical limits will exceed the theoretical limits because of everything else in the system.

"Noise" in the system can come from a variety of "non-mount" sources:

• What is the local seeing error?
  • What are the specifications for the attached optical system (SCT, RC, CDK, refractor, other)?  Camera? Filter wheel? Rotator? Guider? Other equipment?
  • How is the OTA attached to the mount?
  • What is the total weight of the payload?
  • Is the payload weight distributed evenly (potentially producing differential moments of inertia)?
  • What is the application (astrophotography, satellite tracking, spectroscopy, other?)
  • What is the wavelength of light being imaged?
  • What time source is being used?
  • Is the pier sufficiently massive?
  • Are there any local vibrations (traffic, trains, HVAC systems, etc.) that might potentially affect the stability of the imaging system?
  • Are all cables routed properly so that there's no cable drag?

In short, TheSkyX with TPoint driving a well-mounted Paramount mount with absolute, on-axis encoders and a stable imaging train and stable optics can produce exceptional pointing and exceptional tracking performance suitable for a wide range of astronomy applications.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2017-10-13 15:19Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Bob Rickert:

Hi Daniel

So I would like to move forward with this

What I would like to do is send you my mount after this new moon cycle as I'm committed to a project with the local school

If I gave you a deposit now, about what would be the turn around time?

Bob

(Bob, please see How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?. Thanks.)

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,821
Software Bisque Employee

Bob Rickert:
Hi Daniel

So I would like to move forward with this

Great, thank you!

Bob Rickert:
What I would like to do is send you my mount after this new moon cycle as I'm committed to a project with the local school

If I gave you a deposit now, about what would be the turn around time?

I understand you have been working with Leah on this upgrade?  If so, please continue working with her.

For others reading this post, here's the current time table for installing on-axis encoders from the Software Bisque side:

• The on-axis encoder components have an 8 week lead time before we receive them.
  • Once Software Bisque has the on-axis encoder components, and the mount, the turn-around time is 5 business days to install the encoders.
  • Once the on-axis encoders are installed, the mount is star-tested at the Software Bisque observatory, and the turn-around time for star testing is subject to the current weather conditions.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2017-10-17 19:59Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Bob Rickert:

Thank you Daniel

Your team has been very helpful on this...I appreciate it

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+