Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Used MyT considerations

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Gene3 Posted: 10-30-2017 2:51 PM

Hi

I am considering the purchase of a used MyT and tripod from Woodland hills Telescope. It was originally purchased from there in December 2015.

Has there been any changes to the mount hardware or firmware or the Paramount software suite since that time that I need to take into consideration?

If so would I be better off buying a new MyT? 

Thanks,

Gene

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

Gene,

Thank you for considering a (new or used) Paramount MYT robotic telescope mount!

Gene3:
Has there been any changes to the mount hardware or firmware or the Paramount software suite since that time that I need to take into consideration?

I'll ask someone else to address the hardware side, but the firmware is field-updatable. Regarding the Paramount MYT Software Suite, this is continually being improved, and updates can be downloaded from our web site, provided one has a current subscription. One thing you should consider is that the original owner may have registered his software suite, in which case there's a procedure to transfer the software license to a new owner. In the case of a Paramount Software Suite, there is a charge for this transfer, but it also provides the new owner with a fresh 12-month subscription.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,019
Universal Subscription Licensee

I think the base plate on newer units maybe slightly thicker. The original run of the mounts had a manufacturing flaw that caused the threads to bind in the altitude adjuster and damage the adjuster. The repair was simple to make and the part was free from SB. Some people who use their gear above 45 deg Latitude have reported that the adjuster will not stay seated in the mount correctly, I think SB will supply you with covers that help with this if you should need them. I have a very early model and had the messed up altitude adjuster. This was replaced and I have had no issues with anything since.

Roy

www.roystarman.com

I am not employed by Software Bisque, but I am a satisfied customer.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,026
Software Bisque Employee

Gene,

The things that have been mentioned (altitude adjustment threads, high altitude adjustment clamps and updated azimuth anchors) are the only changes that have been made for the MYT. The mount ID can give us a little more insight as to if it has any of these changes have been made to the mount yet as we keep track of changes by serial number/mount ID better than by dates of purchase.

Two of the items mentioned could be resolved by getting replacement parts if they are needed. If you are imaging with a portable setup at 40 degrees latitude or higher and the used mount doesn't have the modified side plates you may want to purchase a new one because altitude adjusting would be made a little easier not having to use the clamps each time.

As also mentioned for the MYT tripod, the top plate is machined a little thicker now which allows for less bending and could be fixed with a replacement part. I would have to see if we have a date of when those started shipping but I believe the tripod would still have a thin plate because the thicker one is a fairly new change.

Thank you,

Sarah Bisque Clawson

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Not Ranked
Posts 21

Interesting, I didn't realize those were changes that were made. If it helps, I picked up an October 2015 model from WH and use it all the time and have never had any issues at all with it (although I live at 34 N). I think I also saw the used the model you are referring to when I stopped by WH the other day.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,026
Software Bisque Employee

Gene,

There is one more update that is missed. Newer MYT's also have an extra anchor screw to anchor down the worm block. This is the one update that wouldn't be able to done unless it came back to Software Bisque. Again if I had the serial number I could tell you more.

Sarah Bisque Clawson

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Not Ranked
Posts 16

Hi Sarah,

Thank you and the rest of the SB folks for this discussion. I ended up buying a new one through Tolga Astro. I should be here tomorrow.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+