Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Looking into MyT or MX+

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Van Posted: 01-20-2018 9:10 PM

I am looking at replacing my CGEM DX.

Currently I am running:

9.25 EdgeHD, LiteCrawler rotator/focuser, QHY16200 w/7 position FW, and OAG with QHY5L-II. I do use a heated dew shield sometimes and there is a guide scope on it. This adds to a total weight around 37.2 lbs. I like using SGP for image capture and PHD2 for pulse guiding. I have one wire to my mount and one to my camera. Rotator/Focuser and Guide cam plug into QHY16200 and power is fed off one line to everything that needs it.  I like to use home power and when remote I use a little Honda 1000 watt generator. I am fairly strong so weight isn't a huge issue, but like portability and simplicity. 

1. Is there an adapter that can mount a MyT or MX+ to my CGEM DX tripod? (This way I can keep my tripod)

2. Is there any reason I couldn't use of the equipment listed above with either mount (software or hardware)?

3. Does either mount come with plate that will mate with the CGE dovetail or will I have to order something different?

4. Does Software Bisque use something similar to polar align like, Celestron's ASPA? (I go remote alot.)

Cost isn't a huge factor, but I like to keep it simple. I do plan on upgrading to a 11in or 14in SCT in the future. I wanted to gain insight from people who have similar setups or do alot of remote imaging. I look forward to what Software Bisque and users have to say. Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,809
Software Bisque Employee

Vantastic:
1. Is there an adapter that can mount a MyT or MX+ to my CGEM DX tripod? (This way I can keep my tripod)
From this 2015 post, ADM Accessories manufactures this adaptor (although I could not locate it on the new web site).  It's for sale on the Deep Space Products web page.

Vantastic:
2. Is there any reason I couldn't use of the equipment listed above with either mount (software or hardware)?
No; both should work just fine.

Vantastic:
I do plan on upgrading to a 11in or 14in SCT in the future.
While the Paramount MYT can carry the C14, the Paramount MX+ is heavier and has a larger payload, and is better suited for a 14-inch OTA.

Vantastic:
3. Does either mount come with plate that will mate with the CGE dovetail or will I have to order something different?
Both include the Versa-Plate mounting plate that has an integrated Losmandy D dovetail.  For best results, consider attaching the OTA using tube rings instead.

Software Bisque manufactures 11-inch and larger rings, none for 9.25 inch OTAs. 

Vantastic:
4. Does Software Bisque use something similar to polar align like, Celestron's ASPA?

Software-Based Polar Alignment

• The Paramount includes the Paramount Software Suite (TheSkyX Pro, Camera Add On and TPoint Add On)
  • The built-in Accurate Polar Alignment feature uses TPoint for polar alignment, even when the pole is not visible.

Optical Polar Alignment

• Many use the QHY PoleMaster for optical polar alignment.
  • Software Bisque manufactures a PoleMaster to Paramount MYT/MX Adapter.
  • The Paramount Polar Alignment Scope is essentially obsolete now (because of APA and/or PoleMaster options).
  • Vantastic:
    (I go remote alot.)
    The Paramount requires 48v DC.  Many portable imagers use the EGO battery in conjunction with the EGO to Paramount Adaptor for portable mount power.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
    Posts 14

"The Paramount requires 48v DC.  Many portable imagers use the EGO battery in conjunction with the EGO to Paramount Adaptor for portable mount power."

1. So using my Honda 1000 watt generator would not be enough to use with your power adapter? Or is this just better power option? 

Again thank you for the quick reply and help. 

Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 27,809
    Software Bisque Employee

Vantastic:
    So using my Honda 1000 watt generator would not be enough to use with your power adapter?
    Yes, the battery is just a bit more quiet is all.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
    Posts 14

I agree with the quiet, but I still need to power my laptop, CCD, TEC cooler, and Rotator. I run a long extension cord, and Honda is fairly quiet. Does Software Bisque plan on making 9.25 OTA rings?  Are these OTA rings bolted on?

Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 27,809
    Software Bisque Employee

Vantastic:
    I agree with the quiet, but I still need to power my laptop, CCD, TEC cooler, and Rotator.
    Right.  Here's what others have done.

Vantastic:
    Does Software Bisque plan on making 9.25 OTA rings?
    Not in the near future (there's nothing eminent; if there's a demand, we may consider it).

Vantastic:
    Are these OTA rings bolted on?
    The OTA mounting rings are bolted on to the Versa-Plate; the OTA itself is effectively captivated via friction between the OTA mounting ring and OTA housing.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 150 Contributor
    Posts 150

" plan on upgrading to a 11in or 14in SCT"

C11 works well on MYT but the tripod is problematic unless there is no breeze.  The MYT tripod works well enough for C8 so it may be marginally acceptable for C9.25.

C14 with camera block is too much for MYT.  It can handle the weight but even on a rigid permanent pier the image vibrates too much (manual focusing is unpleasant).  If you are seriously considering C14 then get the larger mount, esp if you plan to image in the wild.  I used a C14 on AP900 (QMD) with AP tripod pier and it was significantly more stable than MYT.

If you decide for MYT then beware of the tripod and investigate alternatives.  The tripod is compact, cleverly designed and well made. But it is obviously intended for small (4-5" short focus) refractors. It is a pain or even unusable for long focus reflectors (C14 is basically impossible in the wild). 

Top 150 Contributor
    Posts 150

I've used both and the Honda generator is a much better solution that batteries (+inverter) unless you are in a campground or other place that may disturb the peace.  The EGO battery is nice but cannot power camera, etc.

Also: I responded via "quick reply" that has not been posted regarding MyT and tripod:

MyT is too small for C14 and the MyT tripod is serious inadequate.

MyT is good for C11 but the tripod is not so good.

Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 3,891
    Software Bisque Employee

stanleymm:
    Also: I responded via "quick reply" that has not been posted regarding MyT and tripod:

The post hadn't yet appeared because this thread is in a moderated forum, not because Quick Reply was used.

Brian S. Rickard
    Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 100 Contributor
    Posts 230

Vantastic:

For what it is worth, I just received my Myt and its tripod for my C11EdgeHD to replace my CGEMDX.

Vantastic:
    Cost isn't a huge factor, but I like to keep it simple. I do plan on upgrading to a 11in or 14in SCT in the future. I wanted to gain insight from people who have similar setups or do alot of remote imaging.

C11 is the largest I wish to do. If anything I will go to a smaller scope.

I got out last night for the first time, imaging with TSX using a RPI3. The Myt is powered by an EGO battery. My setup is 100% portable due to taking up and down each session. I have not been able to process data yet. I can say it was a world of difference from the CGEM, did two targets in one night.

Love the Myt so far!

Not Ranked
    Posts 14

Looks like keeping my DX tripod is a must then. Hopefully I can get an adapter to mate it to a MX+.

Top 500 Contributor
    Posts 44
    Software Bisque Employee

As far as tripods are concerned, the MX+ / MEII tripod is much more stable and capable of carrying 250 lbs. http://www.bisque.com/sc/shops/store/PyramidMX.aspx

Not Ranked
    Posts 14

Do you own this tripod?

What equipment do you have on it?

Top 500 Contributor
    Posts 44
    Software Bisque Employee

Well, I work for Software Bisque, so I don’t personally own one, but I use them all the time. I have used everything from tiny refractor systems to an MX+ carrying a C14, to this crazy contraption we used to film the 2017 total solar eclipse. 

http://www.bisque.com/sc/blogs/rj_smith_blog/archive/2017/08/30/one-amazing-eclipse.aspx

Top 100 Contributor
    Posts 194

Vantastic:

Currently I am running:

9.25 EdgeHD, LiteCrawler rotator/focuser, QHY16200 w/7 position FW, and OAG with QHY5L-II. I do use a heated dew shield sometimes and there is a guide scope on it. This adds to a total weight around 37.2 lbs. I like using SGP for image capture and PHD2 for pulse guiding. I have one wire to my mount and one to my camera. Rotator/Focuser and Guide cam plug into QHY16200 and power is fed off one line to everything that needs it.  I like to use home power and when remote I use a little Honda 1000 watt generator. I am fairly strong so weight isn't a huge issue, but like portability and simplicity. 

ADM probably makes something.  I personally advocate the Losmandy HD tripod, as shown in the image below.

It is really really solid.  If I bang into it with foot, my toe hurts!!!   Note the scope and such is very similar to yours.

I use the same as you have.  Not a problem.

I attached the ADM radius blocks and D plate.

4. Does Software Bisque use something similar to polar align like, Celestron's ASPA? (I go remote alot.)

Yes

Cost isn't a huge factor, but I like to keep it simple. I do plan on upgrading to a 11in or 14in SCT in the future. I wanted to gain insight from people who have similar setups or do alot of remote imaging. I look forward to what Software Bisque and users have to say. Thank you.

Then an MX+ is what you want.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
    Google+